About a year ago, I began seeing an OBGYN. I sat in the waiting room surrounded by young women in different stages of pregnancy. I went through a range of emotions as I realized I would never be in that waiting room for that reason...ever again. Menopause can do quite a number on your senses. Your inner story. Your mood. I have learned in the last 2 years women don't need to 'suffer' from menopause. I don't remember stories from my Grandmother or Great-Grandmothers suffering from migraines, mood swings or hot flashes.
I read 'Medical Medium' by Anthony William where he describes the myth of Menopause. We have been brainwashed into thinking:
- Irregular periods
- Vaginal dryness
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Sleep problems
- Mood changes
- Weight gain and slowed metabolism
- Thinning hair and dry skin
- Loss of breast fullness
are all symptoms we are supposed to feel...as aging women. But according to Anthony William, these symptoms have nothing to do with Menopause. In fact, Menopause itself has no 'symptoms'. He says the only things that indicate the onset of Menopause are that our periods stop and our sexual desire should increase. Which I guess makes sense if we don't have the worry of our period or getting pregnant hanging over us.
The reason I went to the OBGYN was because, not only had my periods increased in flow, intensity, crampage (my own word), mood swings, inflammation & fits of crying and depression...but after a 4 months of my period being a constant daily encumbrance on my entire life. I felt like I was going to die. Or at least I wished I would so that I would be out of this misery.
My family doctor had said it was hormone related. My chiropractor said I was too young for menopause. No one had any answers and I wanted to die. We were desperate.
According to the 'Medical Medium' the reason our maternal ancestors did not suffer from menopause was simply because there are no symptoms of it at all. He states the Industrial Revolution in America with the introduction of factories, big industries, chemicals & pollution in the early 1900's are to blame. You can read the book to get the entire picture.
But let's just say it was about 50 years into this timeframe women started to show these signs. Doctors had no other reason for it so decided to say it was 'woman issues'. Or it was 'in our heads'. So those women who were born during this time began to show symptoms approximately 50 years later. Doctors had no other course but to believe it was because of their age.
That would be great, other than now women are showing these signs or symptoms at younger and younger ages in the last few decades. And they still have no explanation for it. And now men are also showing symptoms so they are saying, 'we guess Men get menopause now too'. It was not menopause, but toxic poisoning. And more importantly was the realization we could turn it around, with the food we eat.
Once we realized this, my Husband and I drastically changed our diets. His new passion in fact, is Holistic Nutrition. He is almost to the end of his first year in his course to becoming a Holistic Nutritionist. Within 6 months, I was able to stop the hormone replacement therapy the OBGYN had put me on. She had said it wasn't normally recommended to stop the medication, however she was quite pleased with my transformation.
What had we done, you ask?
We stopped eating:
- refined white sugar (all sugar actually)
- white flour & wheat flour
- all dairy
- all pre-packaged processed foods
- pop & sugary drinks (including concentrated fruit juices)
- anything with ingredients we could not pronounce
- anything with ingredients list longer than 10 items
- anything with artificial sweeteners
- gluten-free pastas & baked goods (brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, almond flour to make your own recipes)
- fish, chicken & beef (organic, grass fed)
- eggs (farm fresh)
- maple syrup & honey (for sweeteners)
- almond & coconut milks
- nuts, seeds, beans
What have we noticed?
- we sleep better
- we get along better with each other (better moods, more patience, deeper understanding of what the toxins were doing to our brains)
- we have more energy to get things done throughout the day
- our brains are clearer (the fog is gone)
- we have lost excess weight (some more than others, not pointing at my Husband AT ALL)
- our aches & pains are much less with removal of inflammation (caused by sugar & wheat)
- our skin, hair, nails are all healthier and stronger
- overall we are happier, healthier & much more able to make educated decisions about our health
We are not doctors.
But we are something else
that is very important
eager to learn
& more than willing to
take full responsibility
for our own health.
And to me,
that's the best medicine around.