Things have changed a lot for me in the past 22 years. Let's see....back then I was eating red meat, drinking cow's milk, using anti-perspirant. I was also overweight, unhealthy and extremely unhappy.
Then my Mother was diagnosed with the 'C' word. Within 2 weeks, my Father had fallen in as well.
For those of you who have already read my book 'Through Someone Else's Eyes' (which is now available on Google Play Books) none of this will be news to you. If you have not, then reading this may improve the health of you and your loved ones.
Because of my parents health issues I am now considered a 'high risk' individual. Last week I had my second mammogram. It was more painful that my first one. It stirred up a renewed awareness in myself of what I do with and put into my body. Upon receiving the news one dreary Spring morning not unlike the cold Autumn one I experienced this a.m., my Mother immediately consulted a Homeopathic Physician for guidance and help. What she learned, she shared with me. And I will now share with you.
The difference between 'deodorant' and 'anti-perspirant' is that deodorant makes you smell pretty yet still allows your body to sweat. This is very important! Anti-perspirant....is exactly that...it prevents you from perspiring, which is the same as sweating. How does it do this exactly? I'm glad you asked. It blocks your pores with chemicals, including aluminum thus disabling your body to release toxins and clogging your sweat glands.
According to the authors of these studies, most breast cancers develop in the upper outer part of the breast -- the area closest to the armpit, which is where antiperspirants are applied. The studies suggest that chemicals in antiperspirants, including aluminum, are absorbed into the skin, particularly when the skin is nicked during shaving. These studies claim that those chemicals may then interact with DNA and lead to cancerous changes in cells, or interfere with the action of the female hormone estrogen, which is known to influence the growth of breast cancer cells."
Would you drink milk from a cat? Of course not, you say...don't be ridiculous. Cats' milk is for kittens! And of course dogs' milk is for puppies. Women's milk is for babies. So shouldn't cows' milk be for calves? Sure, cows' milk supposedly has enough nutrients in it to make your bones big and strong...but who wants to look like a cow?
I would like to bring your attention to 'A recent article by Dr. David Ludwig and Dr.
Walter Willett from Harvard, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. The study by Ludwig and Willett showed a lack of evidence for the government’s recommendations. (Our current government guidelines recommend drinking three glasses of milk a day for every North American over five. For kids under five, Canada's Food Guide recommends chugging two glasses a day.) The Harvard scientists found no data to support the claim that the consumption of dairy leads to better bones, weight loss, or improved health. They also found some serious risks tied to dairy consumption, including weight gain, increased cancer risk, and increased fracture risk. It turns out milk does not build strong bones! They also found that dairy may cause other problems like constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, bloating, gas, diarrhea, allergies, eczema, and acne.'
If you want to eat dairy, I suggest you try goat and sheep dairy, such as sheep cheese and yogurt or goat cheese and yogurt, both of which are widely available now. It is also important to choose organic when you can, because pesticides and chemicals are concentrated in the fat found in non-organic dairy. Don't even get me started on pesticides & chemicals!
- Take a dairy holiday for two to four weeks, and see how you feel. Does your postnasal drip go away, and do your sinuses clear up? Does your acne go away? Do you stop having bloating, gas, and diarrhea? Do you have more energy? Does your eczema clear up? Do your allergies get better? These are some very simple things you should notice when you eliminate dairy. Then try eating dairy again, and see how you feel. Do these symptoms return?
- Stick with sheep or goat dairy if you do decide to eat dairy again, but try to avoid cow dairy.
When I first stopped eating red meat, I immediately lost 30lbs (over a month's time) I felt better, less lethargic. I had more energy. Plus! I smelled better. I know what you're thinking...but it had nothing to do with my bathroom adventures. I mean, when I eat red meat...I can smell it on my skin. It seeps through my pores. And it's not a nice smell. The last time we treated ourselves to a steak (usually once or twice a year) my Husband even noticed it on himself. And his first thought?
"Indeed, in the last 12 months there has been more data than ever indicating that red meat is not on the menu for health and longevity. (Sorry, but science is strong.) A year ago the relationship between eating red meat and early death was reported in over 121,000 doctors and nurses who provided dietary histories and were followed for up to 28 years. Nearly 24,000 people died during the long period of follow up.
Each daily single serving increase of red meat upped the risk of dying from any cause, with processed meats (such as bologna or hot dogs) posing more risk than unprocessed red meat. The risk for cancer followed the same ugly trend. The researchers estimated that avoiding one serving of red meat a day by eating fish, poultry, nuts, legumes, whole grains or low fat dairy would lower the risk of dying by 7-19%. Not a bad shopping habit to adopt!"
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I am going to use my ex as an example here. For all of the years we were together, he drank Pepsi first thing in the morning. He took a glass of it to bed with him each night. And can you guess what he had to drink in between those times?
It was disgusting. His breath was horrible. His teeth were rotting. I realize this is an extreme case, but that is why I am using it. He just recently had dental work to replace all of his teeth. And he suffered from numerous physical ailments and neurological behaviour. A real treat, right?
Why would anyone want to put something into their bodies that people use to clean their toilets?
What can be done? Switching to diet? NO! That only reduces the sugar in the drink. All of the other harmful chemicals and acids are still present. Along with some new poisons that replace the sugar.
Aspartame - The 1976 Groliers encyclopedia states cancer cannot live without phenylalanine. Aspartame contains 50% phenylalanine.
The dangers of aspartame poisoning have been a well guarded secret since the 1980s. The research and history of aspartame is conclusive as a cause of illness and toxic reactions in the human body. Aspartame is a dangerous chemical food additive, and its use during pregnancy and by children is one of the greatest modern tragedies of all.
Why haven't you heard about aspartame poisoning before? Partly because the diet industry is worth trillions of American dollars to corporations, and they want to protect their profits by keeping the truth behind aspartame's dangers hidden from the public. When NutraSweet® was introduced for the 'second' time in 1981, a diet craze revolutionized America's eating protocols and a well-oiled money machine was set into motion changing modern lifestyles.
After more than twenty years of aspartame use, the number of its victims is rapidly piling up, and people are figuring out for themselves that aspartame is at the root of their health problems. Patients are teaching their doctors about this nutritional peril, and they are healing themselves with little to no support from traditional medicine.
Drinking cola (Coke, Pepsi, etc) can:
increase your blood pressure, destroy your teeth, cause liver problems, heartburn, risk of kidney stones, osteoperosis, heart disease, lead to diabetes and make you fat.
About 10% of soda flavors contain BVO, or brominated vegetable oil, which is banned by the World Health organization and 100 countries.
* I would like to point out that once relationship with aforementioned ex was terminated, the children and I wiped pop completely out of our diets. Six months later, we were having a treat of pizza and thought we would have some pop with it. No one liked the taste of it and we ended up throwing it out. Our body chemistry had rid itself of the attractant to the chemicals and sugar. Yip yip yip yip uh-huh, uh-huh!
Mixing starches with proteins
I also learned that if you mix certain foods together it can also cause problems. I read a book, I can't remember the name right now..but it is credited in my book 'Through Someone Else's Eyes' Maybe I will remember it later.
When you eat a meat (beef, pork, chicken), a certain enzyme goes to work in your stomach to break down the food. When you eat starches (potatoes, pasta, rice) a different enzyme kicks in. Amazingly enough, when these enzymes are in each other's company they actually neutralize each other.
So....if you eat a meat together with a starch, your body keeps trying to break them down, fruitlessly. (see what I did there?)
This easily explains why after we feel so tired after having a big dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy. I always want to have a nap after one of those.
So we eat chicken with veggies...or mashed potatoes & salad. We keep them separated.
And everyone is happy.
FIT FOR LIFE! that's the name of the book...it just came to me
I will keep this one simple....mostly because I'm tired and my fingers are cold (poor circulation)
Almost on a daily basis I have people, sometimes complete strangers tell me how much they love my hair and how young I look to have grown children.
Here are my secrets:
- I don't wear make-up. I believe it clogs the pores and does not allow our skin to breathe. I wash my face every morning with plain well water and one of my rough handmade facecloths.
- I don't curl or blow dry my hair. I wash it at night and lay it up over my pillow to dry naturally overnight.
- I shampoo my hair once a week. At first I thought this would be gross. But the oils that come out in the second or third day after shampooing are completely natural and therefore required to keep your hair healthy. If left to do their job, the oils will work their way from root to tip and coat your hair naturally, without the need for expensive styling aids with long lists of ingredients and warnings. This simple tip leaves my hair healthy, full-bodied and shiny.
- I only use natural/organic/chemical-free lotions, creams or lip balms.
- Each night before bed, I have a nice long relaxing bath to de-stress. It helps me to sleep better and gives me a chance to slough off any dead skin cells. *ugh*
- And while we're on the subject of stress. I try to avoid it at all costs. I don't watch the news or listen to it on the radio. I find it affects me physically and emotionally. Years ago I realized I was very sensitive to others' pain. I tend to take it on myself as a sympathetic gesture (unconsciously even) I strive to surround myself with positive loving people. This can sometimes be hard, especially in the workplace. But I also believe that if you are not happy mentally, physically or emotionally in your workplace...then you should leave! Which is probably why I have such a hard time finding a good healthy place to work.
- Last thing I do before bed is spread a natural night cream all over my face. My most recent was 'Lavender Luminosity' by Avalon Organics. Before that was a citrusy orange cream. I go to bed smelling great and feeling fantastic.
I did say I was going to keep this simple did I not? the best of intentions....cannot keep me on track (or something like that) my mind wanders
So there you have it....take all of my advice or none of it. The choice is your's, of course. But it is important that you are all aware of the facts. My wish is that all of us, men and women are in control of our lives. Whether it is your job, your happiness or your health. The only one that can make these decisions is you.
Please make the right ones.
Who knows? You might just end up as happy and healthy as me.